Palm Sunday at St John's Izmir There has been an Anglican church and chaplain in Izmir (formerly known as Smyrna) since 1626. For centuries our churches served members of the British community who came to the city originally for trade, industry and to build the railways. The congregation today includes long-term residents of the city, local people, refugees, students and visitors. We come from many different parts of the world and a great variety of backgrounds. It makes it a very special place to worship, and a very welcoming one too. There are two beautiful Anglican Churches in Izmir, one at Alsancak, the other at Bornova. Our principal place of worship is St. John's, Alsancak, where we have a church hall and other facilities. To find out more about the churches in Turkey, led by James Buxton, here. Donate towards the ministry in Izmir here.